Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "community service"

Suspended sentences for subcontractors after worker fatally crushed

09-02-2015

Photo shows William Ward who was killed in the incidentTwo subcontractors have been handed eight-month prison sentences, suspended for 18 months, after a worker was killed when part of a 33-tonne metal barge he was dismantling collapsed on top of him.

William Ward, 56, from Handsworth, Sheffield, sustained catastrophic crush injuries in the incident …

Read more

Roofing firm in court following BBC Watchdog probe

20-01-2014

Photo shows unprotected work at height

An Oldham roofing firm and company director have appeared in court after being filmed breaking the law by the BBC’s Watchdog programme.

Renov8 (North West) Ltd and Darren Potts were prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after footage showed workers on top of house roofs using a pr…

Read more

Bury roofer in court again over unsafe work

05-06-2013

Photo shows three men who were spotted on the roof of a furniture warehouse in Trafford Park without any safety precautions in place

A Bury roofer has appeared in court for putting workers’ lives at risk, despite previously being prosecuted after a man was paralysed in a fall through a warehouse roof.

Tony Massey, who trades as Massey Roofing and Building Contractors, was photographed with two other men sitting on the ridge …

Read more

Farmer crushed by badly fitted door

18-04-2013

The barn with the roller shutter on the ground

A North Yorkshire farmer died when he was crushed under a half-tonne roller shutter door that had been badly installed, a court has heard (on 16 April).

Robert Ireland, 71, died from multiple injuries on 28 October 2010 at the family farm in East Heslerton, near Malton, when a roller shutter door…

Read more

Suspended jail term for director of Kent firm who ignored asbestos safety

21-09-2012

a picture of blue asbestosThe director of a Bromley firm has given a suspended jail sentence after removing asbestos without a licence and deceiving the householders by providing a doctored air test saying the room was safe to re-enter.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the circumstances of the incide…

Read more

Essex plumber may face prison after shoddy gas work left family in danger

31-08-2012

Gas Safe Register logoAn Essex plumber has received a twelve-month suspended prison sentence and 180 hours of unpaid community service after his firm fitted a dangerous boiler in what was to be a child’s bedroom in a house in Clacton-On-Sea.

A joint investigation by Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive (…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for endangering lives

17-08-2012

A landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence for endangering lives after a mother, her partner and her eight-year-old daughter were poisoned by carbon monoxide at a flat in Lewisham.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and the young girl inhaled large quantities of the deadly ga…

Read more

Sheffield landlords put tenant's life at risk

17-08-2012

Two Sheffield landlords have been handed suspended jail sentences after dangerous defects were found on every gas appliance at a house they rented out to a young woman.

During the prosecution of landlords Waheed Ahmid and Farhat Basharat, his wife, Sheffield Magistrates heard the defects were…

Read more

Paisley joiner ordered to do community service after unsafe gas installation caused explosion

06-08-2012

A self-employed joiner has been sentenced to 300 hours of community service after a gas cooker he illegally installed exploded, severely injuring two householders and causing more than £580,000 worth of damage toGas Safe Register logo four properties.

Alex Irvine was hired by John and Emily Reid to cut out a kitc…

Read more

Staffordshire man prosecuted for illegal gas work

27-07-2012

Gas Safe Register logoA Staffordshire man has been prosecuted for pretending to be Gas Safe registered, putting tenants at risk from dangerous gas work and for breaching a legal Notice which prohibited him from carrying out gas work.

Mark David Austin, of Riceyman Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, who trades as APS, w…

Read more

Builder sentenced for unsafe work after death of couple

24-07-2012

A self-employed builder has been fined £75,000 and ordered to undertake community service after work he carried out on an elderly couple's home resulted in their death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mohammed Jamil had been contracted to carry out work on the garage roof at the home of husba…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter's "incompetence exposed homeowner to serious risk"

19-07-2012

The plastic material which had been pushed into a gap where the flue meets the boiler chimneyA Barnsley plumber, who left a householder in danger after posing as a qualified gas engineer and badly fitting a new boiler at their home, has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Self-employed trader Mark Dixon of Royston, Barnsley, charged the homeowner £1,200 to carry out the work at t…

Read more

TV ‘Rogue Trader’ in court again for botched gas work

01-06-2012

Illegal gas fittersA convicted plumber who left a series of householders at risk from his illegal gas work was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for putting more lives in danger.

Brian Lloyd from Ossett, near Wakefield, was exposed for carrying out illegal gas work by the TV programme ‘Rogue Traders’ back in…

Read more

Illegal North Somerset gasman lied about credentials

30-05-2012

How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.

CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.

North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeff…

Read more

Basildon landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

31-03-2012

A woman who owns a number of properties in Basildon which she rents to vulnerable families has been given community service for failing to keep their gas appliances well maintained and safe.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Onyemauche 'Fidelia' Peel, 49, of T…

Read more

Demolition worker fined after colleague was severely injured

13-01-2012

A demolition worker from Croydon has been taken to court after his actions left one of his colleagues with serious leg injuries.

Devon Stoner, 44, of Whitehorse Road in Croydon was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after the incident in January this year, when he was carrying out…

Read more

16 Blog Posts