Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "electricity"

Keep your home safe from electrical fires

16-11-2015
Photo shows a burning buildingAmong the top fears when it comes to keeping you and your family safe at home is the possibility of an outbreak of fire. Although rare and on the most part being able to be avoided, when fire does strike, it is a menacing sight and leaves thousands of people each year heartbroken, injured or even wo…

Read more

What you need to know about portable appliance testing (PAT)

18-08-2015

Image shows the plug of a portable appliance near an electrical socketUnder the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, dutyholders (employers and self-employed people) are legally required to ensure that electronics with the potential to cause injury are maintained in a safe condition, so far as is reasonably practicable. Dutyholders are jointly responsible for equipme…

Read more

Is your business doing its bit to protect the environment?

21-07-2015

Photo shows lots of paper around a waste paper binThe role, and education of, environmental protection is something that shouldn’t be limited to schools, science labs, or left solely down to the general public. According to the UN, the world's 3,000 biggest firms cause around $2.2 trillion worth of environmental damage - when you consider that th…

Read more

Top 6 Grounding Site Dangers

23-09-2014

Picture shows how to wire a UK plugIf your facility is not grounded correctly, both your employees and your equipment are at risk. Electricity will find a path to ground, and if a worker is the path of least resistance, they will receive an electrical shock. Depending on the current in the system, the shock could be anywhere from mil…

Read more

How avoiding the ‘fatal four’ can improve your construction site

23-06-2014

Photo shows a worker on a construction siteYour employees are your number one asset on the job site, and taking a few moments to make certain the job site is safe and secure can go a long way towards productivity and can save you money in the long run.

According to the US Department of Labor, 806 workers were killed in 2012 while working on…

Read more

Hidden dangers in a manufacturing plant

16-05-2014

Photo shows an employee using equipmentIt takes a keen eye to spot all of the dangers associated with manufacturing. After all, not every hazard is obvious to the casual observer.

Because complacency in manufacturing can be deadly, workers should be well-trained and always on the lookout for hidden dangers. They should also be well equi…

Read more

The most popular HealthSafetyNews articles

11-02-2014

‘tis the season to be fire-ready

06-12-2013

Photo shows the feet of a family in front of a fireAs we all know, Christmas is a time for jollities and japes, overindulging in mulled wine and of course, one too many mince pies. For me, the most important part of the holiday season is taking the time to relax and step back from the trials and tribulations of everyday life.

Although Christmas is …

Read more

Tips for improving electrical safety in the workplace

24-06-2013

Photo shows a high voltage warning signElectricity is such an integral part of everyday life that it is easy to forget how dangerous it can be. At home or at work, we use lights, computers and other appliances without a second thought – only questioning their safety when something goes wrong.

In the UK, more than 1,000 electrical inj…

Read more

UK Power Networks fined over worker death

07-01-2013

The fire at the Bishops Hall Lane substation in ChelmsfordUK Power Networks (Operations) Limited, which supplies power to the East of England, London and the South East, has been ordered to pay £420,000 in fines and costs after an employee died while working at one of its Essex sites.

Electrical engineer John Higgins, 59, from Colchester, was killed at a…

Read more

Suffolk firm fined for electrical hazard

07-01-2013

HSE inspectors found a live 400 volt cabling hanging off the wallA Suffolk plastics manufacturer has been fined after electrical fittings at its production site were found to be dangerous.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) uncovered serious issues with the construction and maintenance of the electrical systems at Techplas in Sudbury on 9 and 10 October 2011 …

Read more

Do I have to PAT test?

22-10-2012

Do I have to PAT test?

Do I have to PAT test? How often should I PAT test? How do I know that my portable electrical appliances are safe?

These questions are examples of what I’m regularly asked by managers / business owners who are concerned with regulatory compliance or just want to be sure the electrical applia…

Read more

Redhill company fined £167,000 over worker's death

08-10-2012

A Redhill-based construction company has been ordered to pay £210,000 in fines and costs after an employee died following an explosion on a construction site in central London. The explosion occurred following damage to an 11,000 volt live cable within an excavation.

Ioan Boboc, 22, a constr…

Read more

How to protect staff at risk of an electric shock

03-10-2012

high voltage warning signIf you are an employer, you have responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 to protect your staff and the public from hazards.

Electric shocks can result in injury or even instant death which means it’s in your interest to take the necessary precautions to minimise the …

Read more

Council fined after power line collisions endangered lives

13-09-2012

Council employees, agency workers and passers-by narrowly avoided electrocution or injury on two separate occasions when vehicles collecting recycled material struck overhead power lines, a court heard today.

On both occasions workers for Powys County Council were using kerb side collection…

Read more

Firm fined after workers exposed to risk of electric shock

24-08-2012

A Tyneside firm has been fined after an electrical system was left in a dangerous condition exposing workers to the risk of electric shock or electrocution.

On 16 August, Darlington Magistrates' Court heard that Coolcheck Refrigeration Ltd. failed to ensure parts of an electrical system wer…

Read more

West Yorkshire firm prosecuted over unacceptable working conditions

23-07-2012

A Keighley lighting supplier has been fined for subjecting its staff to ‘appalling’ working conditions and exposing them to risks from defective electrics and welding fumes.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector visited the premises of Keylighting Ltd. as a result of a number of compl…

Read more

Council-owned firm fined after worker receives electric shock

09-07-2012

Swindon Commercial Services, a wholly owned subsidiary of Swindon Borough Council, has been fined after an agency employee received an electric shock whilst securing fencing at a play area.

The worker had undertaken work for Swindon Commercial Services for a number of years and was working at…

Read more

Farm owner fined after overlooking legal requirements

27-05-2012

The owner of a Bedfordshire farm has been prosecuted for failing to complete legally required documentation in relation to safe working near overhead power cables.

On 17 May, Bedford Magistrates' Court heard that, on 23 June 2010, an employee of Davison & Co (Barford) Ltd., the owners of Co…

Read more

Company prosecuted after worker suffers electric shock

30-04-2012

A coating and treatment company with premises in Swavesey, Cambridgeshire has been fined for safety failings after an employee suffered an electric shock.

He received an electric shock whilst checking new cables on a hardening machine that had recently been maintained, sustaining open wound…

Read more

20 Blog Posts